Read-a-Thon is a reading celebration event in honor of Dr. Seuss’ birthday, with celebrations at each of our three campuses. Parents and students participate in fun reading activities, sign a contract for their reading commitment, and receive two new books for their home library. The activities are models for at-home practices that encourage reading and literacy development.
Read-a-Thon promotes the love of reading, reinforces the importance of daily reading by our students and parents, and raises much-needed funds for classroom libraries and literacy development.
Read-a-Thon 2019 will be held on February 20th, February 27th, and March 5th.
There are plenty of ways to get involved and share your love of reading with Christopher House scholars during Read-a-Thon 2019.
- Donate books. We need to collect more than 1,500 books for our scholars, and we need your help! Check out our full list of recommended books by age group.
- Hold a book drive. Holding a book drive at your place of worship, book club, business, or organization is a great way to get your community involved in the spirit of reading!
- Alternatively, you can collect funds to donate and we will purchase books for you at a school discount.
- Adopt a class. Using our suggested book list, you can purchase books for an entire classroom!
- Donate. By making a cash donation, you will directly improve our scholars’ access to books and build their enthusiasm for reading and literacy. You can donate at the bottom of this page.
- Become a sponsor. By sponsoring Read-a-Thon, you will have a profound impact on our scholar’s access to reading materials and resources. See a full list of sponsor levels and benefits here.
To hold a book drive, donate books for an entire class or grade, or ask any further questions, please contact Ruth Perret-Goluboff at firstname.lastname@example.org.